WELCOME



Every week my husband and I try a new breakfast spot in Calgary. I'd love to share the experience with you. I'll include where we went, what we ate, what we thought of the restaurant and a link if you're interested in trying them out!

Reading is a passion of mine and in the past, I've shared some of my favourite reads. My reading interests have changed over the years and although I still enjoy a good self-help book, fiction is a solid second.

There you have it! Two of my favourite things, eating out and reading!

Wednesday, April 10, 2019

Week 8: OEB Breakfast Co.

The OEB Breakfast Co. is located in Bridgeland at 825 1st Ave. NE.  There are 2 other locations in Calgary one downtown and the other in Mission.  When asked, our waitress told us that OBE stands for Overeasy Bacon and Eggs!  However, the OBE Breakfast Co. website describes the values upon which the business is based:

  Outstanding People
  Embracing Evolution
  Bold Food Integrity

I expect the "over easy" explanation is considerably easier and generates a lot less questions!  The restaurant is busy and vibrant. The decor is a little intoxicating with modern furnishings and bright yellow and white counters and chairs.  The menu is very different with a unique selection of crepes, benny's, waffles and omelettes. We were fortunate to be seated next to the kitchen line where the servers pick up their food and were impressed by the colours, variety and portions of the delicious looking breakfasts!

I chose the ARTISANAL BAGEL SAMMY with fried hen eggs, white truffle mayo, haas avocado, lyalta watercress, semi dried cherry tomatoes and market fresh fruit!

This was singularly the tastiest breakfast bagel I have ever had!  The truffle mayo was sooooo tasty and the semi dried cherry tomatoes added the perfect juicy addition to the combo.  The fruit was fresh and included kiwi, strawberry, apple, pineapple and orange pieces.  Just every once in a while a perfect meal appears and whatever altered state of consciousness it creates is sublime.  This was one of those occasions!  The website describes the experience as "leaving you soul-full".

My husband chose the SMOKED BOAR SPECK Benny with
Haas Avocado, Semi Dried Tomatoes.  The smoked boar speck is a cured bacon that is cut like prosciutto.  A healthy serving of "twice fried herb potatoes" afforded a generous sharing which I genuinely appreciated!

Bill commented on the freshness of the ingredients and then went silent, as people do when they enter that altered state of eating a perfect meal!

We both agreed that this was our favourite breakfast since we started this eating "tour" and blog!


And then the book....

This week I finished reading Peter Robinson's Sleeping in the Ground, a compelling read with a dramatic, unexpected twist in the plot.  I had taken this novel with me to Victoria and reading it wholly swallowed up two 90 minute flights!  

My next couple of reads will be Gregg Braden's Human by Design and Michael Connelly's The Wrong Side of Goodbye!  







No comments:

Post a Comment