WELCOME



Every week my husband and I try a new breakfast spot in Calgary. I'd love to share the experience with you. I'll include where we went, what we ate, what we thought of the restaurant and a link if you're interested in trying them out!

Reading is a passion of mine and in the past, I've shared some of my favourite reads. My reading interests have changed over the years and although I still enjoy a good self-help book, fiction is a solid second.

There you have it! Two of my favourite things, eating out and reading!

Tuesday, March 5, 2019

Week Four: Breakfast at Vendome Cafe

The Vendome Cafe is located in Sunnyside at 940 2nd Ave. NW just east of the LRT tracks on a residential street  Although from the outside The Vendome looks quite small, inside there is ample seating space. It's divided into 3 areas giving a very Feng Shui , open feel to the cafe.  Overall it had a Victoria, BC vibe which we loved!  Order your food at the front counter and take your beverage with you to the table.

My husband chose from "The Benedicts" a Glazed Pork Belly with black garlic emulsion, furikake (a Japanese seasoning), pickled shallots, hollandaise on side, poached Mans Organic (local organic farm) free range eggs and added a fresh fruit bowl @ $21.00 total. Lots of food and a nice presentation. I selected the The Health that consisted of two Mans Organics poached eggs, avocado, harissa (chilli) paste, roasted red pepper tapenade, chorizo, multigrain toast and house made jam @ $16.50.  The chorizo was cold slices and not my favourite. When my husband noticed I wasn't eating it, he scooped it up and loved it. I love eggs and avocado on toast so I was a happy diner. Coffee refills are $1.00 which seemed a bit odd if you've ordered a full breakfast so we passed.

We would definitely go back to the Vendome Cafe.  It was relaxing, super clean and the fresh flowers on each table was a nice touch.

And then.....


Decorative match box
Right next to the restaurant is a wonderful shop, Mélange.  Please check Instagram or Facebook to get an idea of what an amazing shopping experience you will have when you visit.  Do not buy any more gifts anywhere until you have seen the expanse of beautiful items in this magical place!

We purchased a couple of small items including this gorgeous decorative box of matches (of which they have drawers full of beautiful selections).   There are lamps, sofas, tables, chandeliers, china, jewelry, statuary, linens, stationary and much more!




The Book....

One of my favourite genres is "nordic noir" that is a type of Scandinavian crime fiction that typically features dark storylines and bleak urban settings.
In Rupture the protagonist, detective Ari Thór revisits a case where a suspicious suicide is questioned at the same time that the town has been quarantined because of a possible deadly virus. Ari is faced with carrying out the investigation under much pressure to avoid public contact until a kidnapping, that may or may not be connected to the reopened case, puts the town on high alert. 

As a local politician tries to keep the image of a low crime town, Ari navigates through the challenges of the investigation as he fights his own demons. 

No comments:

Post a Comment